About: This training session will offer techniques for modifying the practice to make it accessible for Individuals with Special Needs. Though primarily aimed at serving teen and adult students, some of the material covered can be adapted and used for teaching children. Topics covered will include:
- teaching sun salutations
- modifying common yoga poses
- breathing techniques
- spotting techniques
- touch techniques
- using the wall to help ground
- using chairs for accessibility and comforting
- tone of voice, and pacing of instruction
- how teaching special needs populations is different than teaching regular needs populations
Target Audience: this training is ideal for movement educators and yoga teachers and practitioners who work with or are interested in working with special needs populations.
About the trainer: Paul Keoni Chun, Keoni Movement Arts Founder, has been teaching yoga, dance and gymnastics to individuals of all ages and abilities for over 20 years in New York City. Specifically, he's worked with special needs individuals for over 15 years teaching and adapting the yoga practice to meet their needs. This training will be derived from many of the approaches he's discovered along the way.
Location: KMA @ Clinton Cameo Studios, 307 W 43rd St., Studio B
Requirement: To be accepted into the training, all participants must agree to completing a post-training survey.
To secure a spot:
- email email@example.com with your request
- Please complete our Release and Waiver Forms here.
Space is limited to 20 participants.