About: This training session will offer techniques for modifying the practice to make it accessible for Individuals with Special Needs. Though primarily aimed at serving teen and adult students, some of the material covered can be adapted and used for teaching children. Topics covered will include:
- teaching sun salutations
- modifying common yoga poses
- breathing techniques
- spotting techniques
- touch techniques
- using the wall to help ground
- using chairs for accessibility and comforting
- tone of voice, and pacing of instruction
- how teaching special needs populations is different than teaching regular needs populations
Target Audience: this training is ideal for movement educators and yoga teachers and practitioners who work with or are interested in working with special needs populations.
About the trainer: Paul Keoni Chun, Keoni Movement Arts Founder, has been teaching yoga, dance and gymnastics to individuals of all ages and abilities for over 20 years in New York City. Specifically, he's worked with special needs individuals for over 15 years teaching and adapting the yoga practice to meet their needs. This training will be derived from many of the approaches he's discovered along the way.
Location: Stepping Out Studios, 37 West 26th St. (@ 6th Ave.), Floor 9, Studio B
Requirement: All participants must complete a post-training survey.
To secure a spot:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request
- Click here to sign the Release and Waiver of Liability Form
- Click here to sign the Photo/Video Release
Space is limited to 20 participants.